Loving The Northwest

Loving The Northwest

Friday, January 1, 2010

What's for Dinner? Fiesta Enchilada Bake

Fiesta Enchilada Bake

Here is what I cooked for dinner tonight (Friday 1/1). It probably cost me about 5 dollars. I buy the ground beef when it's on sale from $.99 to $1.79 a pound. Taco shells I normally buy for less than $1. The only thing I had to buy that I didn't have on hand was the enchilada sauce and a 28oz was $1.79.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb lean ground turkey/ground beef (I used ground beef)
1 box (10.35 oz) taco dinner kit, hard shells tacos, seasoning, and taco sauce (I already had taco shells (hard shells) and seasoning)
2/3 cup water (I used about 1/3 of water, this is used with the taco seasoning in the meat, I use about 1/2 the seasoning because my family doen't like the strong taco seasoning favor)
2 cans (10 oz each) enchilada sauce
1/2 cup sliced green onions (8 medium)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
3 cups shredded lettuce
1/2 cup sour cream


1. Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, cook ground turkey over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in seasoning mix from dinner kit and water. Cook as directed on box.

2. Pour 1 can of the enchilada sauce into baking dish. Break taco shells from kit in half; layer half of the shells over sauce, overlapping if necessary. Top with turkey/beef, onions and 1 cup of the cheese. Layer remaining shells over cheese. Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over shells, coating well.

3. Cover dish with foil. Bake about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil; sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over top. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Top individual servings with lettuce, sour cream and taco sauce from kit.

3 comments:

Mom2mykids said...

So these shells from the taco kit, are they the hard shells? Do they soften when baking? I've never seen a taco kit, but then again I've never looked either! This recipe is a lot like one my sister-in-law has made for years except hers has refried beans in it, and olives. It's pretty yummy. This one sounds good for an alternative. Thanks!

Lori said...

It's the hard shells and they do soften up. You cook the meat with seasoning add a little water, not too much or it will make it soupy. We thought it was really good with the lettuce, sour cream, and olives on top.

Michele P. said...

this looks good! Thanks for posting the recipe!