Loving The Northwest

Loving The Northwest

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WinCo $5 Bargain Meals - General Tso's chicken

WinCo $5 Bargain Meals - all ingredients purchased at WinCo Foods
I am happy to participate in the $5dollar dinners Bargain Meal of the Week.
For more low budget meals to go Bargain Meals and 1 trip, 1 bag, 5 dinners

 General Tso's Chicken (serves 4)

I had to share this recipe for one of my $5 (or less) dinners - all items purchased at WinCo Foods:

Ingredients:
1 packet of Sun Bird General Tso's sauce (found in the Asian aisle) $.74 (next time I will use two packets because I like a lot of sauce)
  • The ingredients you will need to add to the packet is sugar, soy sauce, flour, oil, and water
1 lb Boneless skinless chicken $2.68
2 cups of cooked rice $.70

Cook according to the directions on the packet.  They are very easy - you will coat the chicken in flour, fry it up; mix up the remaining ingredients and then add to the chicken until well coated. Serve over rice.

My husband and I really liked it; it wasn't too spicy.  I topped it with a little red pepper flakes.  We will definitely make it again.  The packets would be great to keep on hand for a quick meal.

Total: $4.12

Another General Tso's chicken that is all prepared for you is Hy-Top General Tso's chicken.  You will find it in the frozen section next to the Tyson chicken.  It's great and normally about $5.38.

No comments: