I am happy to participate in the $5dollar dinners Bargain Meal of the Week.
For more of my $5 meals to go Bargain Meals and 1 trip, 1 bag, 5 dinners
1 package (16 oz) spaghetti (Ronzoni) $1.08
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion $.24
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped $.58
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef $1.98
1/4 cup sugar
1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning mix (Hy-Top) $.44
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained (S&W) $1.78
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (Hy-Top) $.27
1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained $1.08
1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained (Hy-Top) $.44
Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
1. Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package; cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and bell pepper in oil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet. Add beef to same skillet. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
3. Add onion and bell pepper to beef; mix well. Stir in sugar, taco seasoning mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and mushrooms. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese.
Total: $3.95 for a family of 4 , this recipe serves 8 for $7.89, so you will have two meals for less than $8.
Meal #2 Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili (serves 8)
6 skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 lb) $4.17
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup) $.24
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped $.20
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton) $1.78
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) great northern beans, drained, rinsed $.68 each
1 can (11 oz) white shoepeg corn, drained $1.08
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro $.10
Total Time: 45 min 1. Remove excess fat from chicken. In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper sauce. Add chicken.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours.
3. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use 2 forks to remove bones and shred chicken into pieces. Discard bones; return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in beans, corn, lime juice and cilantro. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 15 to 20 minutes or until beans and corn are hot.
Total: $4.47 for a family of 4. This serves 8 for $8.93, this will be for two dinners.